Tuesday, September 15, 2009

9-12: "Conservative Woodstock"

I must admit some ambivalence toward the "tea parties" and the big march on Washington. I haven't yet joined any of these assemblies.

As a "social conservative," I enjoyed the comparison/contrast between Woodstock and the 9-12 march:

There were notable differences though, in the behavior of these attendees. Although the legend of Woodstock is that there was a friendly atmosphere of camaraderie, the truth is that most people were there for the drugs, sex and rock and roll. Today in D.C. there was a true kinship amongst these people based on shared values and intellectual understanding of what America is and how its future is imperiled by big radical government.

No one was having sex in the Reflecting Pool let alone the mud, and I saw no one projectile vomiting on the steps of the Capitol. There were no warnings to avoid the bad acid which would send you on a trip to the hospital. Not just a different era, but a different level of civilized behavior and thought. Oh, and by the way, these people didn’t leave tons of garbage behind when they left. Actually they left no trash behind at all.

Conservative Woodstock Rocks the Capital • Looking at the Left

But there's something about "protests" that make me uneasy.

Maybe I'm waiting for something positive rather than negative. A march in support of something, rather than against something . . . or someone.

A march for the “Vine & Fig Tree” vision.

Michelle Malkin, who says many good things but then more than cancels them out with her defense of Bush policies, made this statement:

As you all know, I am the daughter of legal immigrants from the Philippines. They stood in line, took their citizenship tests, filed mountains of paperwork, and — speaking in English — swore allegiance to the United States. The more-than-two-century-old oath of American citizenship declares, in part:

“I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty … I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic… I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

Michelle Malkin, Celebrating the 9/12 rallies; Turnout estimated at 2 million; Update: How many?; FreedomWorks in error

I'm worried that the Tea Party movement is more anti-Obama than anti-archist. If mass movements like 9-12 have to be negative, I'd like to see the protesters become naturalized anarchists:

“I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, foreign or domestic….”

Then something positive:

“I will support and defend the Bible and the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God against all enemies, foreign and domestic… I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.”

The people in those pictures are all good Americans.

I guess I'm not.

No comments: