Friday, March 09, 2007

MEK

During every campaign, I am asked by various organizations if I support them, and they inform their constituencies of my position. Last year I was contacted by MEK, Mujahideen al-Khalq, an organization that opposes the current regime in Iran. They had been listed as a "terrorist" organization by the State Department, but a number of Congressmen, including Tom Tancredo, disputed this designation and supported MEK. The MEK has provided the United States with "valuable intelligence information on Iran," and has rejected Islamic fundamentalism.

A publication that reports on Congress, The Hill, has commented on support for MEK among some in Congress.

More recently, William Grigg has described MEK as "a bizarre terrorist cult whose official ideology is a fusion of Marxism and Sufism,' noting that "The Warmakers in and around the Bush Regime have embraced the MEK as an ally in the low-intensity war underway between Washington and Tehran."

Sam Adams and George Washington would have been called "terrorists" in 1776 if the word had been fashionable in Britain, so State Department denunciations will not seal my opposition to any group. In fact, the opposite is more likely true, and any organization which can be described as an "ally" in any of Washington D.C.'s many unconstitutional "low-intensity wars" has my suspicion, if not my condemnation.

I won't "oppose" any group that opposes the current Iranian regime, but as a candidate for Congress, I will not "support" any group that does not support the endangered Libertarian party pledge:
I do not believe in or advocate the initiation of force as a means of achieving political or social goals.
It appears that MEK repudiates this commitment.

1 comment:

Kevin Craig said...

I agree with your comments, Bernie. "Self-government" is the ideal, and "THE government" inherently and inescapably moves us away from this ideal.

"THE government" is institutionalized violence and the initiation of force, combined with the attempt to get people who should be self-governing to become dependent or continue in dependence upon "THE government."

See my page on "Government".