Friday, September 17, 2010

Happy Constitution Day?

I guess I'm supposed to wish you a "Happy Constitution Day." Here's what I said on
Constitution Day 2007.

Someone commented that I needed to "update" my argument. Wrong for two reasons:

First, warnings about abandoning the Constitution and the need to "get back to the Constitution" have been around since at least FDR and the New Deal, if not Lincoln. The warnings were justified because Washington D.C. and America's law schools were abandoning the Constitution. I don't want to "update" this nearly ancient history. I'm not saying anything radically "new."

Second, I need to update the message only in the sense that, now in 2010, Obama has only taken us an even greater distance away from the Constitution. The Constitution is now even more meaningless and irrelevant than it was in 2007. The warnings continue to be ignored.

The Constitution failed in its most essential task: that of preventing the government it created from transgressing the rights affirmed in the Declaration of Independence.

I'm confident that every single person who signed the Constitution would take immediate steps to repeal the Constitution and abolish the government it created, if those Signers were here today. I would join them (though I would leave my musket at home).

No comments: