Friday, January 02, 2009

Knapped for my links again

I keep forgetting that Thomas Knapp's blog doesn't allow comments with "too many" links. Below is the comment I tried to post here.

I said, "I don't see how libertarianism has a chance of succeeding if it spurns all those who believe in the God of the Bible."

David said, "I agree, with the caveat that I understand it to be about succeeding in our society in a comparatively short time, such as my lifetime or the lifetime of people now living. In a thousand years 'the God of the Bible' may be as forgotten as the God of the Zend-Avesta."

I'm reminded of the remark allegedly made by Voltaire (b. 1694): "One hundred years from my day there will not be a Bible in the earth except one that is looked upon by an antiquarian curiosity seeker."

David continues, "Can you name any libertarians who actually want to spurn all Bible-believers? Or did you intend that as hyperbole?"

I know libertarians who tell other libertarians not to vote for me on the grounds that I believe in God.

I get the feeling there are quite a few libertarians who want to appeal to atheists and homosexuals (10%) even if it alienates Christians (90%).

Michael wrote: "Libertarianism does not spurn those who believe in God or the Bible. It does spurn those persons who would use those things as a justification to compel or forcibly coerce others to follow their way of belief, especially using the force of government to do so."

I'm an anarchist. I'm against all initiation of force.

Again, Michael: Libertarians can and do follow Christian beliefs. The difference is that libertarianism recognizes that there is a separation of church and state for a reason, and that when they are mixed they both fall into despotism. Libertarians oppose theocracy, not religion.

I'm against "religion" (churches), and the modern myth of "separation of church and state," but I support Anarcho-Theocracy. The Declaration of Independence created a libertarian Theocracy.

No comments: