Sunday, August 03, 2008

Endorsing "Homophobia"

I just received the following email:

On Sun, August 3, 2008 5:10 pm, xxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

> Having read portions of your campaign website,
> I have some questions.
>
> First, have you been endorsed by the
> state Libertarian Party in Missouri?
>
> Second, on just what portions of the
> National Party Platform do you base
> your positions against homosexuals?
>
> [name]

My response (with a few links added, and some
URL's converted to links):

-----=====******O******=====-----

Thank you very much for taking time to write me.
I'm assuming you don't agree with my opinions
regarding homosexuality, and I appreciate it
when people who disagree get their facts
"straight from the horse's mouth."

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by being
"endorsed" by the state LP. The MO-LP definitely
knows that I believe homosexuality is contary to
"the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God," and
they allow me to run as a candidate. I wouldn't
say they "endorse" everything I say. I doubt they
endorse everything ANY Libertarian candidate says.

When you speak of my "positions against homosexuals,"
I think it's fair to balance them with my positions
FOR homosexuals. Although I believe homosexual acts
are sinful, I don't believe the government should
treat them as criminal. I would therefore oppose
any laws which would fine, imprison or execute anyone
for committing homosexual acts.

But I also oppose fines, imprisonment, or execution
for anyone who believes homosexuality is a sin,
and chooses not to marry, do business with, rent
to, hire, or form contracts with homosexuals. I
do not believe the government should initiate force
against such people.

Therefore I believe my position is completely
consistent with the National Libertarian Party
Platform.

The National Party Platform does not specifically
say that homosexuality is contrary to "the Laws of
Nature and of Nature's God,"
but it allows the
freedom to believe that it is, as seen in the
"Statement of Principles," sec. 1.0:

Individuals should be free to make choices for
themselves and to accept responsibility for
the consequences of the choices they make.
No individual, group, or government may
initiate force against any other individual,
group, or government. Our support of an
individual's right to make choices in life
does not mean that we necessarily approve
or disapprove of those choices.

I am the only candidate in the race for the
7th District Congressional seat who believes in
liberty for homosexuals as well as liberty for
those who believe as America's Founding Fathers
did. I suspect that those who want to see
homosexuals imprisoned or stoned are just as
upset at my position as those who want the
government to use force to deny such people
their freedoms of association and speech
.

In the long term, I believe the State is a
greater threat to the liberties and standard
of living of homosexual persons than a few
loud voices
who advocate criminal penalties
against them.

The world I envision is a world devoid of
government force and threats of violence
.
This can only come about when individuals
become libertarians, and take "the pledge":

I do not believe in or advocate the
initiation of force as a means of achieving
political or social goals.


http://KevinCraig.us/what_is_the_libertarian_party.htm

Again, I appreciate your taking time to write.
If there's any reason why you feel you cannot
vote for me in November, I would be grateful
for another opportunity to respond to your
concerns.

Cordially,


Kevin Craig
Libertarian Party Candidate
U.S. House of Representatives, MO-7th
Powersite, MO 65731-0179
www.KevinCraig.US
blog.KevinCraig.US
www.StoptheSPP.US

No comments: